Monday, July 18, 2011

Southern Cross Academy




Seeing the children in school again was an absolute treat. I visited them last week, and, as mentioned in a previous post, I had something very special for them this year too - excellent reading material from a retired teacher I met in Australia just prior to leaving. His name is Grant and his program is called Literacy's Great!

It was so incredibly well received - I only wish I could have bought more over for them. The few I had were more than 4kg – a very precious amount when my luggage was shared with valued medical supplies. The laminated posters Grant, will be with me in Peru – my good friend Jeff is bringing them with him when we meet in Brazil in November. Your education material really is making it’s way around the world!!

My time at Southern Cross Academy (in Maai Mahiu) was limited on this occasion, but I did manage to spend a couple of hours with them in the morning to assist teacher Mary. It was surprising how tricky it was for them to grasp the pronunciations. It was also challenging for me to explain some Australian words/animals - it was a lot of fun!!

Thank you again. School for most, especially those in the slums is a inconceivable privilege. The teachers are so happy and the smile on the kids faces screamed volumes - you can't help but be deeply touched. I only wish you and your family who have worked so hard on these were here to witness their gratitude. It is literally priceless.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers