Monday, October 31, 2011

Last days in Peru



The sunsets in Peru have really lovely but it's difficult to be in the right (safe) place at the right time and having dinner prepared for us at 6.30pm (right on sunset) it can be tough to catch. This was taken one Sunday night in a taxi on the way back from the beach.

Most places in Peru have flush toilets but as the sewer system is so inufficient, you are unable to flush toilet paper down the toilet – not even in the airport! Everything gets popped into the dustbins provided next to the bowl. At least they flush right! :-)



My last day at the Wawa Wasi in Pachacutec was fantastic – we played with bubbles and I taught them Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes, Knees and Toes……. Bahaha – I can’t believe how much fun it was! The mamma in turn tried to teach me their version – oh boy, I am not a fast learner but the kids found it very amusing.



I decided to change my days and keptFriday free to help a couple of the teachers take the ‘top’ performing 4th Grade children (also from Pachacutec) to the Zoo. Really happy I did – they needed the help, I was able to take plenty of photos and the kids had the best day – having very few opportunities to ever do anything like this, it wasnt' surprising to hear many say it was the best day in their lives. It was also one of the longest bus trips a couple of the kids had ever taken. The journey was an hour and 15 min there and the same back. It could have been a combination of emotions and food (return trip) but 4 of the 10 kids threw up on the bus. No warning either – it was like a chain reaction.





On Saturday night we all went out for a night on the town. Megan, a volunteer who knows fluent Spanish and has been in Lima for a few months, knows a number of locals. One of those guys is Franco – he is friends with a couple of people in the entertainment business and was able to get our names on the most exclusive club in town – Gatica’s. Despite the salsa dancing (or lack of it in my case) we had a brilliant night. Having not been out in quite some time, I had a nanna nap in the afternoon and managed to see the entire night through. A lot of fun. Looking forward to going back there when I am next in lima.



Lidia’s (host mum) daughter and husband who now live in America, also have a charity in Columbia. They too are host families for IVHQ (volunteer organisation) and have ongoing volunteer programs. I am hoping that Columbia will be one of my next destinations.



Every Sunday Sole (house maid) has the day off so we make sandwiches for lunch and Lida orders Pizza for dinner. Last Sunday, we all decided to cook for the family - macarooni and cheese, bruchetta, salad and grilled marinated chicken then peanut butter filled/chocolate covered pretzels, home made apple pie and ice cream for dessert. It was a great success - we cooked for 21 people. Fantastic, we were all super happy.

I serioulsy can't believe I leave in just a couple of days.. grateful I will be returning before my flight back to Australia. Will be wonderful to see the kids and family again.

Brazil - here I come!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers