Sunday, October 23, 2011



My day typically starts at 7.15 for breakfast and out the door by 7.45. If I am in Pachacutec, Wawa Wasi (baby house) we catch the public bus and the journey takes about an hour and 15 minutes. We generally arrive just in time to help finish feeding the children breakfast - I usually feed Andrea. I am always greeted at the door with shouts of ‘Buenos Diaz or Hola Natarsha’ whether they have food stuffed in their mouths or not. Andrea is blind and so well behaved. It’s a bit of a struggle for her to feed herself on her own just yet and the training required is too great for the mother as her attention must be divided between all 8 children.



They usually finish breakfast by 9.40, we wash our hands and play until ‘Fruit’ time at 10.30. We peel and dice the fruit and what doesn’t land in their mouths, we scrape from the floor and throw away (unlike Kenya). It’s then play time again, usually with some dancing to music then lunch at 11.50. The children aren’t’ always hungry but we persist in encouraging them to finish as much as possible as they may not be receiving much dinner. We then wash them, change their clothes and pop them to bed. It’s typically around this time (approx. 1pm) that Paolo, our local coordinator, collects me. They all kiss me goodbye and sing ‘Ciao Natarsha….’ I love it! We then walk to collect other volunteers at other Wawa Wasi’s and bus it back for our own lunch – around 2.30pm. After lunch we make our way to either San Antonio’s to teach and play with the kids or the baby orphanage for feeding and changing.




This volunteering program has been very different to that in Kenya. Only being here a short while (3 weeks) my aim was to simply experience each placement and fight any urge to improve their systems. In Kenya I went nuts because the level of poverty everywhere was blinding and I felt that the people who really needed help were not receiving it. The situation in Peru is different. They do need help but the level and type of assistance required I feel is different. The greater population have homes and education but their ability to improve their home situation is limited. They feel isolated and ‘stuck’. It’s been difficult to identify where I would start if Peru was a place I would commit too in providing assistance. I believe it’s the physiological barrier that is the greater problem as most families do have the basics. I would definitely concentrate my energy on Pachacutec where the level of unemployment is high and home situation desolate.

The 3 government funded orphanages (Semillitas, San Antonio and Divino Jesus) clearly have the equipment and resources to make it a functional and well looked after program – they do however need help with staffing and providing as much love and affection as possible. Most of the children are unable to successfully feed or care for themselves properly, so meal times it is a very demanding event.




Public transport in Peru has been interesting. One of our drivers went cross country over kerbs and footpaths in peak hour and hit a pole.

I have visited the San Francisco Monastery and Catacombs – having never experienced Catacombs first hand before, I was not only intrigued but very impressed – it was hard to believe the mountains of bones were real. It holds incredible history. The Church library was like nothing I had seen before either, disappointed that photos were strictly not allowed.

As luck would have it – the very weekend I arrived in Lima, the city was boasting their Peruvian version of the Oktoberfest. Less than 3 weeks after experience the ‘real’ one in Munich for the first time, I found myself standing at the giant beer structure looking into the only tent they had on offer. It looked amazing – the beer was flowing, German food plentiful and tables full of drunken dancers. Yes the Peruvians sure know how to party!!!

The beaches close to where we are staying in San Miguel are not at all nice. They are polluted, smell, full of rubbish and house many homeless people. I was shocked to witness a part of the world that could easily boast paradise. After witnessing that, it was equally as shocking to learn that not even 20 South of this mess is the beautiful seaside of Mira Flores. The coastline is stunning and people were bathing like the beaches at home. It is a very pretty part of Lima and home to many millionaires. When you know where to look, there are many beautiful parts to this city.




Unlike Kenya, it is difficult to communicate in Peru as very few people speak English. I have had 3 Spanish lessons which I have found challenging. It is going to take a lot more practice than I had hoped or anticipated. I am hoping by the end of my time in South America, I will be able to at least communicate at a basic level.

The Inka Markets here are amazing, a few bartering skills make it a very fun experience. You can literally pick up anything – I adore their clothes and handmade leather trinkets.

The hospitality where the volunteers are housed is extraordinary. We receive 3 meals a day and they are exceptional – mostly traditional Peruvian dishes. There is not one thing in the last 3 weeks that I have not thoroughly enjoyed. The only thing I am looking forward to when leaving here will be to lose a bit of weight. It has been way too easy to over indulge. I will otherwise miss it terribly. It has truly been an amazing experience and living with 10 other women has been incredible. We all get along remarkably well. I will miss them. I will miss this house. So much for a bikini body for Brazil. 

I am happy to report that the charity ‘That’s What Friends Are For’ is still moving in the direction of gaining full charity status. It has been a lengthy process, but thanks to Michelle Anderson of Complete The Look Events, it is still happening…. She has been absolutely monumental in this whole entire process, there is absolutely no way this could have happened without her. Even with me on the other side of the world, Michelle is managing to keep things moving – Michelle, thank you!! Fingers crossed we receive positive news soon. And if her business, a new baby and following up charity status is not enough, Michelle is also managing to coordinate a charity event to raise money for That’s What Friends Are For – if you are on the Sunshine Coast on the 17th of November and enjoy the Twilight Series please support the movie premier of the first instalment of Breaking Dawn. For full details, please visit my Facebook page or contact Michelle Anderson on 0422 356 422.



Last week I did my first (and last!) salsa dance class. Most of the girls I live with do them 3 times a week and are remarkably talented. I on the other hand have 2 left feet and found the whole experience quiet daunting. It was good for a laugh though.

Next week I am travelling to Brazil for 1 month for a holiday with a friend. From there I will travel to various other countries, where I will explore other volunteering opportunities before making my way back to Peru. A major goal for this entire trip was to experience third world countries and identify the potential for That’s What Friends Are For to work with existing or establish new projects. I am keeping an open mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers