Thursday, July 29, 2010

Our last days in Kenya...






I knew it would be hard saying goodbye. The hurt was deep and painful. Giving out the remainder of the donated clothes and handing out the ones I bought with donation money at the place closest to my heart - the IDP Camps - was by far the worst. Despite my best efforts and a painful headache to prove it, I tried not too, but cried alot. And so did mum - she said the few cheerios she could manage before taking refuge in the car and locking the door.

Alex, a local Maasai Jane and I spent most of our time with in the camps, took off my glasses and wiped away my tears while wispering in my ear 'be strong tarshy, be strong'. Another said 'don't be sad, our bodies may be apart, but our hearts will remain as one'. Oh my god!!! I love them all and to leave is bloody hard. It's true though, that you have to leave in order to come back again!

Thursday and Friday, another volunteer and myself spent time visiting the camps and doing interviews with families I met through profiling thier children. Seriously gut wrenching stuff. It must have been so hard to relive thier past, especially in front of a camera. To say thank you almost sounded unfair and inapropriate. The will and strength of these individuals is astounding.

Another excruciating day was Sunday when i took mum to visit Judy and Mary - the 2 ladies with HIV I have had constant contact with since 3 days after my touchdown in Kenya. They both have HIV and TB and were excited with the idea of meeting my mum. First, we visited Florence and her children - including Simon, the 20yo chap I have been helping put through college, but will need greater support when I get home. Florence was the lady who introduced me to Judy and Mary - Anyhoos, they are a delightful family and were so sorry when they gave me the news that Mary passed away on Friday, just 2 days before. My stomach fell through the floor and my chest tightened so hard I had to concentrate on breathing. I mustered all my strength not to cry. How could I have just missed her - she was so strong just weeks ago. I always took them food, even cooked it for them and always checked to be sure they had and were always taking thier medication. I still took mum to meet Judy and found that 2 of Mary's 4 children were there. I handed them some photos I had taken of their mother and I and when I saw the tears in thier eyes and heard them say I was a good friend to their mother, I had a wave of emotion and literelly errupted into tears. I couldnt' help myself and felt terrible. They dont' let their tears flow in Kenya as easily as they do in the Western world. I hugged them both, gave them money for the funeral, said a quick hello and goodbye to the rest in the teeny compound I knew well (including Obama and his family whom I gave a few donated treats to) and high tailed it out of there with my sobbing mum so we could have a good cry. Florence explianed to me that Mary's stomach had blown up like a balloon and she couldnt eat in the days leading up to her death. Why did she have to leave so abruptly? More than ever, I feel life can be particularly unfair in Kenya. They loved and greeted me like their own children. I am still finding her loss hard.

If I haven't yet had a chance to send a personal note of thanks along with pictures on where your money has gone if you donated, I am sorry and promise I will do soon. I do not have a computer any more - I felt someone needed it more than me, so I don't yet have the time or means to email. In saying this, I would like to say a special thank you to the following people; Chris G, Carol & Kung, Gill, News Agency and Lions Club - all from Mum and Dad's home town Karoonda. Also Tony and Kristy from Mossy, the first people to donate following my email, Jeff, Erin, Joanne, Erin, Michelle and of course Lauren, the gorgeous girl from Canada I met in Santorini Island who made the largest single donation and a very big impact. There are also a number of people who sent well recieved and heartfelt wishes, including a large pending donation from Kate, a good friend I worked with at The ANU. The support has been overwhelming. Thank you all so very much.

Not taking into account the donated clothes - I purchased and delivered a total of $520 AUD worth of goods from money donated by the people mentioned above!!! I am absolutely stoked, what a fantastic amount and thank you all so very much. I only wish that each of you were here to expereince the emotion and heartfelt thanks in person. It really is overwhelming. The money donated bought so many things. In order of the amount of money spent, we purchased the following items;

Hunderds of items of clothing for the children and families of the IDP camps
Many pairs of shoes
Mattresses
Material to build chook pens
Lanterns
Malaria and HIV testing kits for IDP medical camp
Numerous bottles of antibiotics and cough medicine for very sick children
Dozens of pens, pencils and writing pads
Medical kit for the school including extra panadole and thick bandaides
Sanitary pads
And Food for HIV sufferers unable to help themselves and food for the IDP families

Also a small portion of donated money, but mostly my own also went to towards tiling Fremo's Maternity Ward, paying a semester's college tuition for Simon and funeral costs for 3 different families who had a member pass that I knew. I hope this gives you an understanding and appreciation of what volunteers to Kenya can do. To some of the families, it will literally change their life with the above mentioned things - especially socks and shoes - so many had none and get terrible colds unable to warm themselves - the cough medicine and antiobiotics will almost certainly prevent death in a number of children and the everything else will help make their lives that little bit more comfortable and also help prevent starvation. There are many things I hope to do along with other volunteers to make the IDP community become self sustainable but in the meantime your contribution has been brilliant. From the bottom of their heart and mine - THANK YOU!!

I am sure there are things I have neglected to mention, including how amazing and supportive my mum has been, so I may post another update or 2 upon my return to Australia...

Take care and thanks for taking the time over the past 5 months or so to read my blog.

Cheerio
Tarsh
X

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers