Saturday, July 10, 2010








My mum is amazing!! She did it – she actually bungy jumped in one of the most anticipated places in the world – in Uganda over the River Nile! I am so proud of her! She had a full harness and didn’t even hesitate when she leaped off the side – she was shaking like a leaf, but much to everyone’s surprise, never once contemplated not doing it!! You rock mum!! It was incredible; I am soooo happy she finally did it!!!! And I love the fact that she is still buzzing almost 48 hours later!

After watching the plunge, I raced down the bottom to meet her and the wet hug was so amazing, she almost floated back to the viewing platform. The thrill she felt and appeared to have all night was contagious. All of the 13 other members of our group (including the other 20 or so surrounding the bar) thought she was the ‘gutsiest grandma’ that had ever met – she had the biggest crowd watching her jump, it was awesome. And the funniest moment to top it all off, was when she reached the top, had every one congratulating her then have her say – ‘I wanted to scream but couldn’t’ because I was worried my false teeth would fall out’. Haha, it was brilliant. Watching her has been one of my top highlights of my trip so far.

To get to Uganda, we took an overnight bus from Nairobi. We left around 8pm and arrived on the side of the road around 5am. Our only choice to get to the resort 15km away was to jump on a piki, piki (motorbike) or walk. We all crammed (12 people) 2 on each a bike, with all our luggage and rode in the dark – I was on with mum and every 2 min when she asked ‘how far do we have to go’ I almost wet myself laughing. Oh boy it was an interesting trip. The roads are FULL of potholes and speed humps – we bellied out on every one. Mum was so relieved to make it safely; I had no time for a photo.

Monday was also Izzo’s 26th birthday. We had a blast spoiling him with sweets, wine and a bungy jump. He is Kenyan, chairman of the NGO I am now involved in and is the reason the IDP’s have been reached and helped. He has the biggest heart. Yesterday a bunch of us went out for lunch – he couldn’t’ finish his meal. He disappeared from the table and found a hungry street kid to give the rest of his rice and meat too. He thought absolutely nothing of it. He is an inspiration to us all. I was happy to be part of a small group of people taking him out of his home country for the very first time. At his party, everyone chanted for mum to feed him the first piece of cake. She literally shoved it in his mouth! And then he shoved it in mine! I found pieces of vanilla cake with blue icing in my bra almost 6 hours later. She even snavelled a thank you kiss from him after handing him his favourite chocolate biscuits and sweet wine. The funniest Irish man I have ever met made mum blush at the mention of a threesome. She’s having a great time.

Mum and I stayed in a ‘safari tent’ perched right on the edge of the cliff above the Nile. Each night we fall asleep to the sounds of the rapids below – perfect.

The other night a small bunch of us went swimming in the Nile around 12am. What a rush, the water was actually quite warm and so peaceful.

We arrived back from Uganda and to the frenzy of Nairobi yesterday. I am now at the camps but left mum for a bit of R & R in town for 2 days. We had a very rough bus trip back and I really have kept her busy for almost 3 weeks now. I will see her tomorrow. I spoke to her a couple of hours ago and she is powering through the book ‘The White Maasai’. I have also purchased the movie to watch. I hope to take mum for a visit to the Maasai Mara next week. There is simply nothing like visiting the tribe in person and staying in their homes. They are probably the most fascinating people I have ever met. Their clothes, traditions and way of life are like nothing else. Beautiful people. I am so excited to show her around. A simple gasp, laugh or look has me appreciating Kenya all over again. I really do love it here.

During my time in Uganda, I finished putting together an email explaining what specific projects I have been working on in Kenya and to ask for support. I hope to reach everyone following my blog. If not, and you are interested in donating or sponsorship, please email me at natarshaj@gmail.com

Once I have looked over it again with a clear mind, I will be forwarding that email in the next day or 2. And thanks for the emails; it’s comforting to know my blog is being read….

X

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tarsh, just finally caught up on the last few weeks of blogs....wow! sounds like you guys are having an absolute blast! I'm soooo glad your mum and is having the time of her life!! Can you please email me your account details so I can transfer some money to donate? I don't have much spare at the moment, but I'd love to help with what I can....take care and can't wait to catch up with you!! michelle x

    ReplyDelete

Followers