Sunday, April 25, 2010

Uganda




Last Monday night (12th April) we got an overnight bus from Nairobi to Jinja. One unforgettable bus trip. Most of the journey was on dirt road and there was a stretch that lasted about 45min where we spent most of it airborne. With no seatbelts or handles it was an awkward trip. We spent most of it giggling like school children on a rollercoaster. We were thankful 2 hours later for the 5 min break for a wee stop – our bladders were screaming.

We then drove on a not so rough road for about 2 hours where we got some broken sleep before getting to the border. At the border (3am), we had to get out, line up, stamp our departure card and passport, then walk about 1 km over this dodgy bridge with no lights and gaping holes through the boards and potholes filled with muddy water on the dirt track. Walking in pairs and once your eyes adjusted it was fine, but the line up on the other end to enter Rwanda and getting completely ripped off with the entry fee had one of our members a little fired up. We kept quiet, jumped on the bus then drove on to Jinja where we arrived about 6.30am.

Here we witnessed the most stunning sunrise I have seen here while riding a boda boda (motorbike). There are no helmets and with the driver wriggling forward enough while straddling 1 full backpack, he fit 2 of us behind him plus another backpack strapped to the front, me at the rear also with my backpack containing my computer and camera. Amazing 10 min trip and sorry I didn’t get a photo of the 6 of us crammed onto 3 bikes. Funny site – kids were screaming with hysteria on the sides of the roads as we rode through their unadorned villages.

Apart from the fact that I could not grab my camera safely while riding, the main reason I did not take a photo was the breathtaking view we had when we arrived at our accommodation. The River Nile was right there, literally sprawled out in front of us. I had no idea that was where we were staying. Out of this world stunning. I was simply mesmerised.

There had been a lot of talk to do white water rafting and bungy jumping on the Nile but I had already decided no because it was too expensive and I had rafted the Tully in Cairns numerous times. We met our friends here in Jinja, who were waiting to do the rafting and they were 1 person short (need a minimum of 5 in the boat) I was simply gobsmacked by this mass of water and sheer beauty of the Nile and completely caved. I had to be part of this amazing piece of nature. Upon paying, another member had also decided to do the trip, but my heart and soul had already committed and I was desperate to be out there, so 6 awesome people shared this flimsy little dinghy.

Of course, the melodramatic side of me would say I nearly died. I swear I drank half the Nile. I’m probably still peeing it now! On the second category 5 rapid, we all flew out of the dinghy and were instructed to hold onto the boat if possible. Most people managed to, but one of the guy’s paddle had me wedged under the boat (only for a second or 2 but felt like 30min) so he had to let go in order for me to get free and much needed air. I come up gasping and flailing like an idiot – the guide swung me into the boat like I was a rag doll. Mmmm, cute AND strong! Our guide, Josh (I think), is the head guide here and also the guy who took Ewan McGregor and Charlie Borman on the very same trail in the long way down. It was terrific to learn that and chat about it!

The morning was hot and we spent a lot of it swimming alongside the boat (that was until we saw a sea snake) then in the last hour, the clouds brewed black from nowhere, thunder and lightning started almost instantaneously and it absolutely poured down. It was unreal – until we got to the biggest rapid of the day. This was one place we didn’t’ want to flip (the first part of the rapid was category 6 that we had to get out and walk around) Josh shouted his instructions; we went down and right at the start, the dinghy literally folded in half when Loren and I fell out. OUCH!! We are both pretty strong but being in the middle of the boat, we had nowhere to go and our fingers were painfully ripped from our wrist. I shot down like a plastic bottle before being grabbed by a medic guy in those tiny little kayak things – I straddled the front of it (with what must have been 700 gallons of water shooting up my nose) to safer waters then spent the next 500m being rowed to the banks of the mighty river.

Immediately upon reaching the banks, we enjoyed a ‘Nile beer’ and headed back to camp. We were exhausted and all in bed before 8. Fanbloodytastic day!!!

I got up just after 6 to answer the call of nature then went straight to view of the River Nile where 2 hours passed me by before others started arriving for breakfast. Even with the roar of the Nile, it was undoubtedly one of the most peaceful places I have ever been to in the world. Dare I say it, it compares to the serenity of the Himalayas. I was extremely sad to leave and promise myself I will return.

This same morning, 6 of our group did the bungy jump. Absolutely brilliant to watch. We got everyone on video and I took a stack of sports action shots which are excellent. Haha, I had almost forgotten how terrifying it is, if it wasn’t’ for the swearing, praying, screaming and false starts that they had, it might have even looked easy. Superb close to a brilliant couple of days.

We left Jinja around 2 and made our way to Kampala for our overnight bus to Kigali. Our bus didn’t leave until 10pm so we had some time to scout around. It is an extremely busy city and we weren’t disappointed to leave the capital. Looking forward to visiting Rwanda.

I should have better internet access in the next few days, so hope to update Rwanda and Tanzania journeys soon also. I have so much to write about!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tarsh,

    What an amazing trip!! I'm sooooo jealous!! I'll get there one day :-) The white water rafting looks absolutely amazing!! and what fantastic photos!! I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!! am loving the blogs!
    Have extra fun for me....
    And take care.....
    miss ya heaps.....
    Michelle x

    ReplyDelete

Followers