Thursday, April 1, 2010

Week 2 in Kenya


The school project was a great success. The children decorated their chosen coloured cards and I was busy drawing fish, flowers, houses, balls and kites for them to colour in. It was a lot of fun and they adored their photos. To have a photo, was a first for most of them. Those who are not orphans will take them home to their families. Time extremely well spent.

Yesterday, I witnessed a Circumcision on a 6 year old boy. We have since learnt that most circumcisions take around 10 min, can be painful for them but bearable. If they feel the boys cannot cope emotionally or physically, they are put to sleep or given additional anaesthetic. This procedure took almost 1 hour. The tiny child was in excruciating pain. Cim and I watched the entire thing, just feet away in from his teeny body in the small consultation room. Able (the young boy) was given 5ml of (Lidocaine and Adrenalin) which clearly didn’t work. The moment I found the hardest was when his ear splitting cries turned to uncontrollable screams for his mama. With each snip and suture, he howled. His father had to gag him with his arm while holding his entire upper body as still as possible. Another nurse had his legs. We bought him a couple of chuppa chupps in an attempt to do I don’t’ know what... I had to dress him – he couldn’t bend down, let alone walk. I don’t’ need to sit through another one of those.

Following the procedure, the Administrator of the clinic took us to Nairobi city to meet with the marketing company he uses to design and print their flyers. We are getting 2,500 pamphlets and posters done for the free medical camp we are holding next weekend. We are hoping it will be a busy 3 days.

The gorgeous lady in the photo was a patient from the IDP Medical Camp last weekend. She was simply beautiful but refused to smile for her lack of teeth.

It has been sad to learn recently that an extremely talented member of the Southern Highlands Cycle Club (James Williamson) passed away in his sleep last week while competing in South Africa. My condolences go out to his family, friends and the club.

Tomorrow morning we are leaving for a 4 day safari. A trip I am really looking forward to. If I wasnt' reminded by other volunteers that Easter was this weekend, I would not have remembered. Unlike Australia, it's not very big deal here. In actual fact, I dont' even think I have seen an easter egg enywhere..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers