Monday, April 12, 2010

Free Medical Camp





Yesterday was the end to a free 3 day medical camp Cim and I organised for Fremo’s Medical Clinic. It was an amazing success. We had around 300 patients come through our doors (being such a new clinic, they only average 4 consultations on a normal day). For the free testing, we offered HIV, TB, Blood Sugar, Blood Grouping and Blood Pressure. We had 3 stations inside and 2 outside. I started Friday doing blood pressure and blood sugar, then around lunch I moved to the HIV testing area where I stayed (my station is in the photo). We did almost 200 HIV tests which was fantastic. I was a master by Sunday afternoon after doing just over half of the people who were tested. So many people are petrified of having the disease so refuse to be tested. In Africa, to have HIV is to have a death sentence. People don’t’ get it that you can live a normal life with the right medication. Thankfully there were only 7 who tested positive – 4 who were with me. I am still amazed at how well they took the news. Immediately after discovering the second line on the test strip, we did a second and different test to confirm and while waiting for the results, got the trained counsellor to speak with them immediately. I am blessed to have such a healthy body.

It is sad to learn how uneducated African people are about HIV/AIDS. There were so many of the people, women specifically, that wanted to be tested, not that they were concerned they had it, but to confirm that their partner was faithful or did not have the disease. One gentleman aged 43yo, who works a respectable office job, was deeply concerned that he may have contracted HIV because a guy with HIV he was speaking too in church spat in his mouth by mistake while they were talking. This happened almost a year ago and he has been getting a test every 2 months fearing he has caught it. This is one of many outrageous stories I come to hear. Even though we had 2 dedicated counsellors for pre and post HIV therapy, I found myself counselling these people on how to and not to contract the disease. They seriously have no idea. They seemed to gain a certain comfort hearing it from a white person.

For someone who came here with the intention to do orphanage work, I absolutely love the medical side. I initially inquired about medical when I applied to do volunteering but because I have no qualification or currently studying, it was impossible for me to have a placement in this area, but once arriving here, I discovered the need and availability to do HIV/AIDS work and through doing this, I have done more than I could possibly have imagined in the medical field.

Over the next 3 weeks, I will be doing a combination of different things including travel and with the clinic, but I still have an incredibly strong desire to work with children so from the 1st of May, I am heading to the Maasai Mara to do some work in school in what I believe is a very remote area. A change from the slum I am really looking forward to.

Tonight 6 of us are leaving on an overnight bus to Uganda where we’ll meet up with a few more. We will spend a couple of days in Uganda before making our way to Rwanda then back to Nairobi. I’m going with a brilliant bunch of volunteers, so should be a lot of fun.

OMG…………… You will never guess what just happened!! I was on getting ready to make my way to the internet café to post this blog when the house lady (Virginia) yelled ‘Natarsha, Natarsha, kudja, kudja (come, come). She grabbed my hand and took me to the family goat who was wailing. She was having a baby!!!! Holy cow it was intense, I have the whole thing (27min) on video and took 196 photos!!! I have some seriously awesome pics, but may be a little too graphic for some people – our baby house goat is proudly pictured and yet to be named. The sex is also to be confirmed. Sooooo cute! Now must go, going to be late getting tickets to Uganda.

Mwahh

1 comment:

  1. You will love the Maasai people. Have fun and remember everyone on the Sunny Coast is thinking of you.

    Heath

    ReplyDelete

Followers