Monday, December 26, 2011

Back in Peru - Arequipa



It is very exciting to be back in Peru. It feels familiar.

For the first time, I did not have the option to travel on an overnight bus. The trip from La Paz in Bolivia to Puno in Peru only make the journey in the daylight and left at 7.30am. I read it is due to the border crossing not being open after dark due to safety protocol. Again, a pretty dodgy crossing but the view was really lovely. I chose a slightly more expensive company with a high safety record.

I spent a few hours wondering Puno which is known for the world’s largest navigable lake. I was not interested in spending the night and visiting the floating islands, so decided to continue on to Arequipa.

Papa Juan (host Dad in Lima) suggested days after arriving, that if I ever have the chance to explore Peru, I must visit Arequipa, known for its friendly people and the Colca Canyon. For the most part, everyone one I have met in Lima are very helpful, friendly and kind. But he was right, the people in Arequipa are so very sweet and genuine I wanted to hug them all.

The city, especially the town centre (Plaza de Armas) was beautiful, clean, easy to get around and with its old buildings very well maintained.


I had 3 nights in Arequipa and took a tour to see the Colca Canyon on the second day. I didn’t know much of its history before arriving so it was a truly interesting trip. It was a very long day starting at 2.15am! And although I expected a larger gully (more like the Grand Canyon) it was definitely worth the visit. We hiked into the Canyon for a couple of hours and literally 15 min before getting back on the bus, we saw our first Condor. We saw 6 in total and they were magical to watch. And big!! Whoa, an adult wingspan reaches in excess of 10 feet long. One of the largest birds in the world, they live up to 70 years of age and with only ever 1 partner – the guide said that when one of the pair dies, the other will also perish immediately after.

The journey out there was on rough roads that were busy with locals herding their livestock and supplies. We stopped by a number of small villages along the way, each with something a little special to share - animals, food, plants, culture, clothes... I particularly liked cuddling with the baby Llama – very cute. Each of these teeny towns thrived on tourism, they greeted us so warmly without badgering us to buy items from them and who still gave us a jovial send-off even if we didn’t’ put our hands in our pockets. I hope this never changes.


There were many local ladies selling thier trinkets on the edge of cliff. Everything was held down by rocks as the wind often arrived, strong and without warning.

The canyon, animals and plants were really beautiful. Another great wonder in the world. The hostel I stayed in had various sister hostels around Peru and one of them in Cusco, so I was able to gather a lot of different information about Macchu Pichu – my next destination and last stop before Lima!


Today (18 Dec) was the 9th anniversary of my sister Regina passing. I thought of her and my family a lot. Many happy memories. I miss her.


As I write this, I am on the overnight bus to Cuzco. The bus company, Cruz del Sur, is popular with the Gringo’s (white people) for its safety and luxury. Right before the bus leaves, they come on with a video camera and record every person sitting in their respective seats. They offer us food, play movies and even bingo – yes BINGO!! I couldn’t’ believe it – the hostess handed out the cards (where you press the numbers out of their holes - reusable) and proceeded in announcing the numbers in Spanish and English over their speaker system. I was so entertained with watching others getting into it that I chose not to play. I have no idea what the winner received.


I will be staying with the same chain of hostel that I stayed in Arequipa, very pleasant family who offered me a discount to continue staying with them – very convenient for me. The arrangements have been made and I will be collected at the bus terminal for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers