Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Saikeri - I missed this place!!




Returning to Saikeri was absolutely fantastic. Just as the IDP Camps, it stole a piece of my heart last year. Constructing FreMo’s Clinic in Kawangware has been like a dream but there is something incredibly special outside of the intensity of the slums – I’m a country girl and will always be proud to be. I like the simple life, even though the country here is a little on the extreme side.

When mum returned from Kenya last year, she spoke a lot of her experiences, predominately those of her time with Dr Maggie in Saikeri. Through sharing her stories, she touched the hearts of many in her home town and the word spread to a Chemist in Murray Bridge. A beautiful local lady and Richard, the owner of Chemplus Chemist, pulled together many medical supplies for me to bring with me – many of them specifically for the clinic in Saikeri. Yesterday I was able to do this. Dr Maggie was very overwhelmed by their generosity, ESPECIALLY the digital blood pressure machine that she almost passed out with excitement. I took a video but I’m sorry that the file is too large to upload. She insisted on signing a Jersey of thanks for their kindness. I’m excited to present this too them on my return.



Dr Maggie has received many donations from various volunteers and organisations in the past but never has she seen or operated a digital blood pressure machine. She was shocked (as was I) when the contraption spat out a paper record of the reading. Her reaction was priceless. Thank you Rowena, Richard, the local reps and team at Chemplus Chemist Murray Bridge!! I only wish you too were here to witness her gratitude.

The trip out to Saikeri is always an exciting one. It rained heavily the night before we left and until we reached the local town of Gnong we were unsure if we were able to make it out there. The roads are so rocky, steep and dangerous the roads are often unpassable in bad weather. We tracked down some boda, boda (bike) riders we trusted and started the long, slow, wet journey deep into the Maasai. Faith is not fond of bikes, so I think I just about prayed the whole way there for our safe arrival. It was definitely one of the tensest trips I have taken. Even Maggie was surprised to see us.

Faith confirmed that it was the most beautiful place she has been in Kenya. Our stay was brief but brilliant.

The afternoon we arrived, Maggie told me that she had purchased a piece of land and had started building. She was so excited; she had to take us out immediately. It is a perfect piece of paradise (pictured). Nestled just behind a hill and surrounded by the vast Maasai country side, it is a very special little place. I am so very happy that after all these years and 2 children (11 & 8) that she will soon have a place to call her own. She is about $900 short from completion (roof, doors & windows) but hopes to work on having most of this done by the end of this year. I am so proud of her; she has taken a small loan and done this all on her own!!! A massive accomplishment for anyone in Kenya, especially in the Maasai.



Another big (surprising) change is the construction of a brand new hospital. It was started in August last year and they have a completion date of April 2012. Apparently the government did a very big campaigne raising money to build numerous hospitals just like this one in rural areas around Kenya. I found it a little odd they decided to put it right in the middle of other buildings instead of to the side where there are thousands of acres of bare land, but it is going to look fantastic all the same. Maggie is very happy.



Just like last year, most of the jewellery purchased in Saikeri are from the ladies who make and wear them. For months last year I looked for a large arm bracelet – all of which were too small and suitable for the teeny skinny arms of the Maasai ladies. That was until yesterday when I met a lady with a envious ‘healthy’ build whose arms was the perfect fit. She saw me looking and eagerly removed it. I paid a generous $6 for a piece of jewellery I believe she has never removed – the bare, light coloured mark it left on her arm was intense. She is now proudly sporting a spot to show others of how a Mzungu chose her bracelet to wear. This makes them very proud. I am over the moon.



Friday is market day and generally a busy day for the clinic. Faith and I spent a few hours with Dr Maggie and patience while Grace explored the country side. She literally disappeared for hours at a time, never short of company though, whether it be dogs, children or Maasai men and their herds.



The trip back from Saikeri was as exciting as the trip there. For the first time, I caught their version of a Matatu which was in the back of a very crammed lorry (truck). The walls were so high you could not see out even if you stood, which for an incredibly rocky, dangerous trip kept you guessing which way to brace yourself. In fact, the stabalising was pretty much done for you – I was crammed tightly between a Maasai man and Maasai lady (who were actually sleeping!!!) It was a little painful with thier bony bodies pressed against mine but aside from the brusing, we had no worries. Unfortunately this mini video doesn’t do the trip justice as there were many camped on the floor and an additional 8 people were packed into the back and on top. Definitely an experience to remember.

I have been deliberating a lot in the last couple of weeks about travelling Scandinavia to visit a friend before meeting mum in Amsterdam. After a discussion with my friend in Finland, I have decided to postpone that part of the trip and stay longer in Kenya. After last year I should have known better. Once again I am going to find it incredibly hard to get on the plane. I am thankful for meeting mum in Europe or I believe I may once again not make my way to South America to volunteer in Peru. Yesterday, after numerous emails to the wonderful Rebecca from Student Flight Centre Alexandra Headlands (if you need a BRILLIANT travel agent when NOTHING is ever a problem – go see her, she is simply incredible!!!) I was able to delay leaving until the 1st of September – I will have another 8 wonderful days in Kenya. Thanks Bec!!

Unlike unemployed people on the dole in Australia I dealt with every day – people here will do literally anything!! Scrub toilets, clean sewer drains, collect (and inhale copius amounts) of charcoal, scrub HIV bloodied sheets – literally anything! Occasionally locals are bold and approach me in the street for work. It is amazing how skilled some of them are. We will find work for them if we can, although it is rarely possible.

Tomorrow Faith, Grace and I are heading to rural Kenya (West) to visit a couple of IDP Camps where Faith will hold mini medical camps for pregnant women and small babies – the afternoon they will then relocate to Giwa where they will remain until their departure in December. I need to come back to Nairobi ready for our trip to Somalia but I will be back out there next week to visit Faith and Grace in the Camps. It will be strange not having them around. I will miss them.

7 comments:

  1. YAY!!!! you're back online!!! I've loved reading your last few posts....I'm at work, so will have to watch the videos another time. I'd love a more detailed account of the 10 day retreat!!! Missing you heaps, and would love to catch up on skype if you think it's possible at all? Maybe it'll be easier in Europe or South America. Keep on having a blast!!! xoxo Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. Can you please post a photo that more clearly shows your sophisticated new hairstyle? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tarsh
    Have just joined up as a member and will be following your blog with great interest! You write so well. It is very readable! I too would also love to see a piccie of your new hair-do! Bye for now, and take care, sam x

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps. Remember me? I worked with you at Mission... I was the jca at Maroochydore! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this place called Saikeri, I read every article I come across mentioning this place.I am planning on starting a holiday/weekend resort on one of the nice scenic hills. It will start small and grow with the demand and the preference of all those who will visit and offer their suggestions. Now finalising on Land aquisition and start in 2013. tanuijohn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do miss it!!!

    I've been there 4 years ago only for 1 single weekend' turning my 56 years into 57 years in a great host family that live's a bit aside the village.
    since than my life changed and i hardly explain it to my family or friends. nobody can understand it, but if he was there...and you were/thats why i'm writing you.
    Tarsh, sorry i didn't mentioned your name on top.
    i will be there on June 12th for the 2nd time but this time it will be my home base with some dropping to Nyeri Slums where i use to spend most of my time on 2010.

    Tarsh, i have no idea who you are but i can promise to say hi to who ever you want in Saikeri.
    is there something you believe i can contribute while staying there on an off around 2 month

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOW I GOT MY LOAN FROM DR PURVA PIUS LOAN FINANCE (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Followers