Thursday, August 11, 2011



The past 2 ½ weeks have been wonderful.

The clinic construction is almost complete and it’s looking fantastic. A new tank stand was designed and erected 2 days ago and the 5,000 litre water tank was purchased today (albeit for the second time).

Faith and Grace certainly kept busy while I was gone, Faith simply never stops. She is a powerhouse with cleaning abeautiful midwife. It was fantastic to see them again.

This morning we attended another birth which was remarkable. For the first time I played the role of the husband. Oh boy do they have a tough time. About 30 min before the gorgeous little boy was born, the mother found herself comfortable sitting (almost lying) on the mat on the floor leaning against me. My legs were folded beneath me and I could not move. After a period of time, Faith asked if the lady would like to try another position, she obliged and when she got up I couldn’t move – my legs simply didn’t work!! They had gone past the stage of pins and needles and were officially dead. I pulled them into a sitting position on the side of the bed where all they had to do was be feet flat on the floor then I held the mother from behind with my arms under hers for support. Just prior to sitting on my fragile legs, her favourite position was kneeling and I was kneeling behind her. When she had a contraction, she madly gestured for me to rub her lower back deeply with my chest pressed against her back for support. Then she would arch her back, throw her arms behind me and cup my arse cheeks. She had quite a grasp on her. I guess they were the perfect height. I have a new found respect for men who support their partners in birth!!! It was an incredible experience – I felt so many more things with her. Simply beautiful. There is nothing more natural. Grace also witnessed her first birth and she loved it. For a young lady whose mother has been doing this her whole life (13 yrs) it was a very special experience for us on so many levels.

I’m sad to say that Faith and Grace are moving as planned next Wednesday to Giwa – a remote IDP Camp just west of Nakuru. I will travel with them and stay a night or 2 and share their little piece of beauty in Kenya. I don’t like this business of saying goodbye though. It will be difficult, we have become very close.

Each day we have either a lunch and/or dinner together. Today was lunch and we sat on the balcony of our favourite, reliable little café just down the road from Fremos. It’s incredibly entertaining from up there – here in the video, the chap on top of the bottles gave us a wee little wave. Funny. We’re not entirely convinced the driver even knew he was hitching a ride.

The 10 day retreat in Mt Kenya was challenging. It was very confronting and tough but wonderful. I will be forever grateful I had the strength to complete it.



On the way to Mt Kenya, we passed the Equator for I think the 6th time by road but this was the first time I was able to witness it in the daylight. Somer and I refrained from asking to do the water tricks, but we did ask them to stop the car so we could be a tourist and haver our photo taken.

Oohh, I have cut my hair and LOVE it. It’s the shortest is has been since the day I was born and it’s absolutely brilliant. I had wanted to do it before leaving for Kenya – I am so pleased I finally found the courage to just do it. It has been so easy and certainly a necessity here. Only bathing every 2 or 3 days and with limited water can prove to be a challenge with naturally greasy hair. I love it!

In about 10 min, Faith, Grace and I are heading to Saikeri - a place Mum and I spent some time at last year, deep into the Rift Valley and in the heart of the Maasai. I am so very excited to see Dr Maggie again!!! I have a mountain of supplies given to me from a generous lady (who chose not to be named) in Mum and Dad’s home town of Karoonda and Richard from Chemplus Chemist in Murray Bridge.

After hearing of Mum’s experience, the donors nominated these medical supplies to be given directly to Dr Maggie – I am so happy to be finally able to do this. There is currently a medical camp going on out there so the timing is absolutely perfect, I can’t wait to help out where I can. One of the donations is a blood glucose monitor and blood pressure machine – 2 instruments I am sure she desperately needs out there – I know she will be thrilled.

I am still working on getting up to Somalia to assist the walking refugees – what a tragic, tragic situation. I recently met a beautiful Australian lady, Somer, who is the founder and Board Member of a Kenyan NGO (Local Aid). She has been working on sponsors and getting together a medical team to head up there next weekend. I am hoping to go with them. Fingers crossed it will come to fruition. I know it will tear us in 2, but I am desperate to help where I can - medical supplies, food, shelter and a shoulder.

Will post again once returning from the Maasai.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers