Sunday, May 30, 2010

Egypt







Holly molly, what a surprising country! I only allowed only 4 days to see everything on my list in Egypt and albeit quick – it was just enough. Immediately after arriving though, I knew I could have stayed longer. Despite what I was prepared for, following what I had heard and read, the people were absolutely wonderful! The weather was perfect (aside perhaps from the sand storm) and the sellers on the street actually listened when I said no – maybe it’s the way I now say it after months of practice in Bali and Kenya.

I arrived in the morning of Wednesday the 26th and checked into my hotel – it was supposed to be a cheap backpacker style hostel (just a bed for a night) but this place was amazing – hotel rooms that were really cheap, incredibly friendly helpful staff and brilliantly located near down town. My view on the 7th floor was of the Egyptian Museum and the River Nile! Very nice!!! Anyone heading to Cairo? I would definitely recommend the Arabesque Hotel!

The lift to the hotel was an adventure. It was this tiny little box for 2 people. It had to be hand closed and bolted. It was blacker than black inside. The only light was the faded green circle around the number 6 and an almost nonexistent beam from the edges of the lift as it passed each floor. The prehistoric machine hesitated before leaving the ground and it stopped somewhere between 4th and 5th floor without warning and started again the same way. I let out a little giggle and I’m sure they guy behind me would have fallen through the wall if he’d pushed back any harder. Not surprisingly, the lift packed it in 4 uses after I was in it – thank god it wasn’t’ me. I don’t suffer from claustrophobia but that had me taking deep breaths when I got out.

The first day was a bit of a struggle – I was fortunate to have 3 seats to myself on the plane and managed to get almost 3 hours sleep, but I was exhausted from saying goodbye to the other volunteers, then staying up until 5.30am for my delayed flight. When I arrived, I spent time wandering around the town and visiting the Egyptian Museum – OMG the room dedicated to Tutankhamun was absolutely incredible. To see his solid gold head piece, his jewellery, 2 of his coffins and his chariot was breathtaking. I even saw a real preserved mummy (not his) and spent almost 4 hours wandering the exhibits. I was disappointed cameras were not allowed.

Thursday was the day I organised to see the Giza (Pyramids and Sphinx). It was also the day of a pretty bad sand storm, which explains the white back drop. It was windy and gritty, but brilliant. Okay so kissing the Sphinx is corny – but it’s the best lovin’ I’ve had in a while. :-) To see them in real life was something else. I went inside the Red Pyramid – it was a gnarly, very narrow climb down and back up this steep 125 metre ladder thing – you were crouched the whole way and my legs are still sore 4 days on! Yeah, yeah poor me….

That night I got a rough overnight train to Luxor, where I can comfortably say I had my favourite day. I saw the Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, Temple of Queen Hatshpsute, Karnak Temple (which took over 2000 years to finish), Luxor Temple and the twin statues (westbank). Unbelievable! Knowing how little I know about Egypt and its history, I took advantage of a guide who superbly explained everything in great detail and simple terms. I was again deeply disappointed cameras were not allowed into the Valley of the Kings – but it is an experience I will not forget. I went into 3 tombs which were each slightly different, bare, but skilfully decorated in superb vivid colours. What back breaking work that would have been. And damn hot. The tombs were suprisingly wide with random rooms to each side, unexpectedly smooth surfaces and high ceilings. They liked drawing men with beard's and straight penis's.

Well here I am back on the River Nile – it seems white water rafting in Uganda wasn’t enough….. I took advantage of spending a wee while on a wonderful Felucca ride soaking up the sunshine lying on the padded deck watching the world slowly pass me by on the Nile. Next time I will definitely spend a couple of days on one, mere hours is simply teasing. I did feel it was a shame though, that I was on my own, it would certainly make for the perfect romantic cruise or party boat with a bunch of friends. I adore travelling on my own, but there are times where I do miss company.

One of the most inconceivable things I have seen in my travels has been seeing water, lush vegetation and desert come together. My photo does not do what I felt justice. Simply remarkable. What a contrast!

Friday afternoon I went out for a few drinks with a great bunch of people I had met (Luxor beer of course) then got another overnight train back to Cairo. Both the rides to and from Luxor in 1st class (haha!) was super rough, I would recommend a sleeper! On the way to the train station it started to spit ever so slightly, and few joked it was pouring down – I guess rain is pretty rare in Egypt.

It surprised me at every turn the similarities between Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, the language, weather, sand, shopping, people, traffic and newer buildings. It’s hard to fathom Egypt is actually a country in Africa.

Saturday, I spoke to a number of people from home including my favourite little lady Alexis. Hello beautiful girl, I know mummy will read this to you and show you my photos, so I just wanted to say a very special hello to you. It made me so happy when we spoke on the phone and you recognised my voice! I miss you so very much and really happy to hear you are getting my postcards and showing them in class. I promise I will send you lots more! I love you and can hardly believe how very grown up you are sounding. Congratulations from graduating in swimming class too that’s wonderful news, I just know you will be able to teach little Baden how to swim one day too. Look after your little brother, mum and dad for me! I love you to the moon and back sweetheart and miss you lots and lots. XX Thanks Kath – miss you too! XX

At around 3.30 in the afternoon, I left for the airport. Once checked into the gate, I hung back not wanting to fight the crowd to the plane and as I did I saw this lady having trouble trying to drink some orange juice. She was shaking so hard she couldn’t hold the bottle on her own. I offered to hold her drink. She explained she had very low blood sugar but would be just fine. Her name is Mynda and we got talking, she is a really lovely lady who is American but lives in Greece. She has a great story and remarkable strength. With a bit of luck we will catch up in Athens before I fly out. I am a better person for all the incredible people I have met on my travels.

I will write again from much anticipated Greece – yahoo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers